Monday, April 20, 2009

Online Labs???

As we start gearing up for fall courses, I get a lot of questions from faculty and students about online labs. So, how can you do a lab course online? You'd be amazed at the cool ways faculty, publishers, and web page developers have come together to create interactive and stimulating lab experiences for students.

Physics and Java applets have come together in one of my favorite ways - Physlets (check them out at http://webphysics.davidson.edu/Applets/Applets.html). Kind of like peanut butter and chocolate, at least to a Physics professor!

Other labs use kits you can buy at the bookstore. Others use workbooks and publisher-provided access codes for materials that allow you to see online simulations - you set up the knobs, dials or other information and then press "go" to see what would happen in the lab. And if you mix the wrong chemicals together, at least you haven't caused a fire (or worse)! Many students find that they can actually be more creative bacause they don't have to worry about these sorts of things.

Not sure if an online lab is right for you? Feel free to e-mail (ssubocz@csmd.edu) - we can put you in touch with the right instructor to ask!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue,

    There are more and more physics (and other) simulations added online over time but they do vary in quality. Some require a subscription, some may be too juvenile while others are too advanced - but - some "juvenile" simulations are actually pretty good in demonstrating a point.

    I learned about creating "webquests" in grad school and learning modules in WebCT are (I'm guessing, because I haven't tried making them yet) probably the same thing. I have created paper versions of webquests (but not online versions yet) to create inquiry-type investigations for roller coaster physics and for automobile safety, and I actually tried to make one for a unit on particle physics... I did't finish that one yet because I haven't had to teach it (yet).

    If folks don't know what a webquest is, you put all your simulation and website links, home-based experiment ideas, data files, graphs or pictures to interpret, etc. in one webquest or module where you are basically giving the student a framework within where he can learn and discover. The student opens the exercise, explores where you want to have him explore, and submits his answers to his discoveries in some pre-determined format. I haven't taught an online course yet, but I intend to make these as lecture backups and assessments in their own right. I'm not to that point yet, being a newbie.

    At least for physics or engineering, I think some things do need to be modelled "in the flesh" so the student has a better grasp of some concepts. In any module or webquest I would also recommend giving the student suggestions or directions to be able to conduct an experiment at home. Make sure it is decent, not cheesy.

    I have used different simulations here and there and have found that if I don't provide specific structure in an appropriate accompanying lab or inquiry assignment, just telling the student to log into a simulation to "play" with it doesn't work.

    My two cents! Happy teaching!
    June Nicholas

    ReplyDelete