Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Just one amazing resource


Before she retired, my mother was a teacher. She taught middle school and high school Consumer and Family Education courses. We (my two brothers and I) used to make fun of her whenever we would go on a long trip and she would bring a great big bag of books with her. WE teased her because she always said that these books were to help her "revise her lesson plans." I assure you that at 13, 16, 21, I thought, "Seriously mom, who cares?"

Well, fast forward a number of years and now it appears that I have caught that disease. However, instead of books, I tend to be a lesson plan "web junkie". Like her, my lesson plans always seem to be in the "tweaking" stages in part because I am always finding a nifty idea or two on the web.

I would like to share a resource with all of you that was passed on to me this semester from Michelle Simpson (LAN).

The New York Times has created this amazing line of lesson plans that connect back to thier articles. Absolute brillance in my mind from a conceptual standpoint, but even better than that, the lesson plans are REALLY good.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/index.html

The lesson plan from today was "Assessing the Role of Statistics in Baseball Strategy" which tied back to the NYT article "Answering Baseball's What-Ifs" I found myself reading intently and getting very excited about statistics and baseball, neither of which I am normally that exctied about.

In addition to the daily lesson plan, they have a great archive of past lesson plans. I find reading them somewhat addictive, so beware.

I also like perusing some of the ones found on this site:

http://www.teacherscount.org/best/lessonplans.shtml

Great resources, all of them. So I hope that some of you find these useful to help yourselves into your own lesson plan addiction.



No comments:

Post a Comment